In planning the coronavirus pandemic recovery, there is “a profound opportunity” to steer the world on “a path that tackles climate change, protects the environment, reverses biodiversity loss and ensures the long-term health and security of humankind”, the Secretary-General said.
To capitalize on this opportunity to create a world that is ‘clean, green, safe, just and more prosperous for all, he proposed the following six different climate-related actions that countries can take to shape the recovery.
6 Recommended Climate-Positive Actions for Clean, Green, Safe and Just Recovery
1. Deliver new jobs and businesses through a green and just transition while accelerating the decarbonization of all aspects of the economy.
2. Use taxpayers’ money to create green jobs and inclusive growth when rescuing businesses.
3. Shift economies from grey to green, using public financing that makes societies more resilient.
4. Invest public funds in the future, to projects that help the environment and climate.
5. Consider risks and opportunities for your own economy, as the global financial system works to shape policy and infrastructure.
6. Work together as an international community to combat COVID-19 and climate change.